It is sad that the early records of the Club exist only in so far as the names of the past winners are engraved on the various trophies.
Lists of past Presidents, Captains, Secretaries and Treasurers have disappeared totally. It would seem that many years ago the walls
of the Clubhouse were lined with trophy boards, but they were lost! It has been suggested that they were removed for the purpose of
decorating the bar and stored beneath the building. There they may have remained to rot and crumble - taking with them the only record
of Club Champions that may have been in existence. Even quite recent records are not available save in the memory of a small number
of members of long standing. However, some details are available. Between 1906 and 1907 the course was extended to 18 holes and the
clubhouse moved to the Cemetery Lodge. At the same time one can presume that the course began to be played in the present direction.
The first real clubhouse was opened on November 12th 1921 by Mrs. G. D. Timmis, the wife of the Club President, Colonel G. D. Timmis
on land purchased from Lord Dickenson. This was a small wooden building that was to be considerably extended over the years, most
notably in the late 1940's when a bar was installed and accommodation for a steward was added. It was this building that was finally
replaced by the present clubhouse.
A Watershed in the 1980s
In a sense we may look to 1985 as a date in which the Club was reborn.
That is not to say that the period before 1985 was in any way less interesting or important, but the opening of the new Clubhouse
does mark a watershed in the story of Painswick Golf Club.
The decision to build a new clubhouse was taken in 1982. It was clear that
the existing structure had come to the end of its days. The steward's quarters were appalling and the changing facilities were nearly
as bad. The initial discussions envisaged a self-help scheme with members doing the bulk of the work as money was limited. Then came
a quite sudden influx of members - some new, some old friends returning to the fold. The main cause of this "windfall" was the decision
of a nearby club to make substantial alterations in the terms of membership it was offering. It is ironic that the opening of this
same club just a few years earlier had almost sounded the death-knell of Painswick and we were only saved by a ?12 per head levy of
members (that was in 1979). Now, they were unwittingly to be our saviours.
There were long discussions about how best to proceed in
the task of building. How would we maintain an income if there was no bar? Could we afford to rent accommodation for the Steward and
his family for a while? In the end it was decided to build the steward's bungalow before demolishing the existing structure and then
find some way of keeping a bar while the rest of building was completed. By this time the idea of self-help had been abandoned and
tenders had been invited from local builders. It is an interesting comment on the state of the old clubhouse that one such builder
who came to examine the site was told that functions were held there and up to 100 attended. He took one look at the crumbling brick
supports, went very pale, and said " ******* *****! Please don't invite me to one of those ******* things in that shack".
Development in the Early Part of 20th Century